Friday, July 28, 2006

Just checking in....

Hi everyone, just a quick note to say hello. I have not had much time to add to the blog lately, which is a good sign I guess. Things here have been OK in that we have been able to work and to get to the sites. We are building foundations for our 100 homes and making slow, but steady progress. I will try to post some construction pics later this weekend.

I’ve been here for 10 months now and the one-year mark feels like it will be here before I can blink. Many people have come and gone from Trinco since I arrived in Oct last year. I’m starting to feel like a bit of an old hand here. I have met many great people so far and am sure that I will continue to meet more as time goes on.

So whats new? Not too much I guess. Its still hot here and the rainy season is coming in a few months. Im worried that it will start early and put the kibosh on my housing project! This week I went to the south of the Island for a Buddhist and Hindu festival called the Pera Harah (blog entry coming soon), which was a 3-day trip (17 hours of which were in the car…).

The-coolest-news-ever is that my friend Doug (crazy-doug) decided to fly back from London to San Francisco to donate a kidney to our friend Hetal!!!!!!!!! WOW. Im so happy for them and really wish I could be there to support them! Many cheers to Doug for this courageous and selfless act! You are an inspiration to us all! And congratulations to you Hetal! Speedy recovery to you both! I will be pulling for you. { UPDATE: Unfortunately, Hetal and Doug were notified that the surgury has to be put off for a few months due to some test results. Hopefully everything will work itself out and we will celebrate in a few months. Hang in there guys! }

Also, wanted to send my congratulations to Craig and Jessica who got married last weekend! Man, Im really missing out. ;)

Ok, I have to get back to work but wanted to get out a quick post to let you know Im ok. Hope you all are well and thanks for the emails and calls. I haven’t forgotten about you and it is really nice to be remembered occasionally. :)
~Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you! Speaking of selfless acts, I think what you are doing is pretty selfless stuff!
You are great person with great friends!

Anonymous said...

Well,I do read your posts and am honored to be mentioned in one. We all miss you back in SF and I think what you are doing is definately helping the world in a way that's pretty amazing and inspirational. I am so proud of you but can't wait until you are back! That's just me being selfish.

Anonymous said...

I'm doug helds's brother. Thanks for your kind comments about him. I second what Hetal said about your work to help that country get back on its feet.

Good luck, my prayers are with your for the success of your project and your safety.