Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Hardest Thing...

The hardest things about being away from home is not being able to be there for your family and friends when they need you. In so far as this point, this week has been a tough one. Last Thursday my friend Hetal in SF had kidney transplant surgery and received a healthy kidney from our friend Doug Held. And now, as I type this entry, my father is having surgery to install a bypass tube from an artery in his chest to his legs to supply blood as the main vessels are 100% blocked to his legs.

The good news is that both Hetal and Doug’s procedure went smoothly and they are making surprisingly seedy recovery. It’s truly amazing what medicine is capable of these days.

I’m hoping that my father’s procedure goes as smoothly. My sister and her beautiful girls are there in Milwaukee with his wife Polly. I’m stuck in Trinco in this pond called Sri Lanka and was unable to come there to be with my Dad. Even calling is not easy due to the 11 ½ hour time difference and the piss-poor reception I have at my house.

I know my father was not looking forward to this procedure, considering that 9 months ago he underwent open-heart surgery. But he was strong and made the decision to go ahead with the procedure so that he would be able to enjoy all the things he loves like working outdoors at ‘Hawk Ridge’, snowmobiling, and being able to stroll through the beautiful woods of northern Wisconsin in which he makes his home.

So, all I can say or do is say ‘hang in there guys’! You are all in my thoughts and I really wish I could be there to give you my love and support. And thanks to my sister Michelle for picking up the slack for her baby brother while I am on the other side of the world trying to work this adventure out of my system.

I wish a speedy recovery to you all and am so sorry I can’t be there with you. I can’t wait to see you in December/January.

Much peace and love.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can feel your love and support all the way from hear. I know its hard for you being all the way on the other side of the world, but you are doing something awesome for the world and making it a better place for the people who live in that region. I miss you and am proud of you for working so hard at your commitment there. Don't worry about Doug and me because we are recovering quite well. I hope things are going just as well for your dad. We all miss you and I am looking forward to seeing you in December. Take care of yourself!

Hetal

Anonymous said...

Loving thoughts to you and your dad. I can't help but think of dancing with him at the latin club! Speedy recovery to the dad and speedy return to you...

Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog. These are powerful posts. Very moving. Thanks.

Douglas said...

SUtS,
Glad you enjoy, whoever you are.
~Peace