Sunday, June 11, 2006

Trip to Nuwar Elliya


In february, I headed south to meet my friend Tom in Nuwara Elliya and be a bit of a tourist in Sri Lanka for a few days. It was a nice break from Trinco as the climate is quite cool in the central highlands with an altitude of ~ 6,000 ft. In fact it is down right cold at night. To be honest I dont really know what this means, maybe 50 degs? All I know is that I was wearing shoes a lot and borrowing a jacket from Tom's friend, Brian, that was visiting from NY. He was well prepared with fleeces and shells (hmmm... must be cold in NY in Feb). We traveled around a fair amount but I would have to say one of the things I enjoyed most was the market in town. There were no tourist there, only locals, and the variety and quality of fruits and vegetables was much better than what I can often find in Trinco.

Thanks Picasa!

We (Brian and I) decided to try the popular if not fashinable, chewing of Beetle Nut. In reality, you are chewing much more than just beetle nut. The whole package consists of beetle nut (small red nut), a dried leafy plant that seems like it could be tobacco or one of its cousins, and lime (or lye) paste. You basically take the mix and rap it up in a small banana leave and shove it in you mouth. The result of this stimulant coctail is a big head rush and a lot of red spittle. (Photo by Tom Ramsson)Is this going to kill me? (Photo by Tom Ramsson)


Beautiful sunrise on the way to Worlds End... (Photo by Tom Ramsson) Posted by Picasa

No comments: